Tuesday, June 10, 2008

"Send in the last of the "Kittens"...

My little baby play "Kittens and Colors" will read, dramatically, Thursday night at Theatrikos.

I am shit-in-my-pants terrified.

I am less concerned about an audience of strangers and more concerned about the people I know in the audiece. I am particularly nervous because most of the people I invited have never seen or heard my writing. One of them, my stepmother, has no capacity for allegory, unless it is out of the New Testiment. Another two guests are two halves of the same albatross.

Never have my words been read by total stranger, each one assuming what my characters emotions must be. Please do them justice, their lives are rough these characters, and only ten minutes long and so theortical. I am open to interpretation, espesially of myself, but last night I had a conference with the judge of the contest who said that ambiguity doesn't work in theatre. Contrived-ness does, apparently, is another thing he told me. What does that say about life, i wonder.

Personally, I don't see the point of creating a piece that reveals everything about its self. Ambiguity allows personal interpretation and participation. I want to play to the intelligence of my audience as much as I want to play to the intelligence of my characters.

It is a strange thing to even be picked for the top seven, and I am too scared to even think about whether or not I will place in the top three. Although a gift certificate to Barnes and Nobel does sound real nice...

But I fully expect to be tarred and feathered and pummled with sentences like "Oh, that's kind of wierd." and "I don't get it."

4 comments:

Tony said...

shit, dude.
I want to come up and see it.
but the stupid money thing....
thursday? thursday? thursday?
let me think about this think think think about it.
because if I was to try and find someone to do it for it would you and your words.

kyle said...

quit worrying.
it will be brilliant.
i know it.
ps. i feel like SHIT, dude. i feel sicky and ugly and disgusting.

Lover Applewhite said...

I can't fucking believe I'm missing it. CONGRATULATIONS. I adore you and you will fucking rock that theatre.

Kat LaRue said...

I love you people...
Want to make love to you...mentally.