Sunday, July 27, 2008

More Blogs About Death

People keep dying.
This is a hard fact. Or s a squishy one depending on your post-mordem politics.
And death travels fast through the flag high phone tree. I think things like this are espesially rough because Flagstaff really is a close knit community, and while I have never been truly part of that community, (whine), I understand.

You didn't even know somebody and now they are dead.

I feel a sort of acceptance. And maybe that is selfish. I don't invest sadness the way I used to. Maybe because I want to accept the world the way it is now, while I have a chance.

Today, i was out hiking and wandering around the cinder fields with Aly.And I was happy. And I had this realization, this sort of language-less communication, that, because I was happy. I was willing to die right then and there. I want to die happy, I don't want to die shaking my fists at something so eventual that happens to everyone.

So i was standning there, and it was windy and rugged and beautiful and I was warm and my skin was eating up sun. We climbed a crater and I was breathing hard through my nose because my mortal coil is out of shape. And there are rocks in my shoes and I could feel myself sneezing because of sage brush. I looked down and saw the shadows of clouds and birds moving over the earth.

I think that part of the beauty of the human race is we are inbtween like that. We are between the finate and the infinate and I would rather not treat that as a curse. There are things moving above and below me. L ava and nebulas. So good. So go on a move with human lives blinking in and out between you too.

This isn't my usual ploy for immortality. I fully expect to still get outraged about injustices and sad about untimely deaths. But I doubt the idea of untimely.

1 comment:

Lover Applewhite said...

Last line is gaspably good!